The Ink n Oil Recognition event was created from years of supporting a Kulture unlike any other. Over the last several years, Grease Inc. has requested it’s readers for their input selected and recognizing leaders in our industry. Showcasing Artists. Drawing attention to new bands and commemorating established bands. We have seen some amazing talent coast to coast bringing all we can to the forefront, every January issue of Grease Inc.
This year, we have teamed up with a very special and long time partner of Grease Inc. and Garage71, Hellbender Harley-Davidson to present the red carpet event of the year, the Ink n Oil Awards Show at the Strand Theatre in the old town square of Marietta, GA, January 6th, 2018.
This night is 100% dedicated to the Kustom Kulture. We will be presenting recognition to several artists and establishments with several special guests in house. There will be a red carpet rolled out to the street for some amazing photo opportunities headed into the show, so dress to the 9’s for this event!!! There will be live music and tons of great roasts to laugh along with. We will have a reception following the show in the upstairs lounge at the Strand with many of our beautiful Rag Dolls handing out the January Ink n Oil Special edition with the complete list inside after the show!!!
This has been an event in the making for the last several years and now will come to life at a location that is as nostalgic as our reputation.
The Strand Theatre, a noted landmark on the historic Marietta Square in Cobb County, got its start as a major motion picture house in 1935. The Strand provided movie entertainment to thousands of people of all ages until it closed its doors as a movie house in 1976. Here is a brief history of the theatre from 1935 through 1976:
- 1935: Manning-Winks Theatre Company officially announced the opening of their new Art Deco movie theatre after seven months of construction. Embracing “modern technologies” such as heating and air conditioning, acoustical sound system, seating for 1,000 and a fireproof projection room, The Strand was the most modern theatre outside of Atlanta and cost $150,000.
- 1935: The Strand opened its doors on September 24 at 2 o’clock. All of Marietta attended the premiere of Top Hat, a musical starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
- 1936: A slogan contest was announced in June and the winner would receive free tickets.
- 1936: The winning slogan “The House of Smart Attractions” was selected but the contest winner was anonymous.
- 1936: The Strand’s one-year anniversary was celebrated in September with the premiere of the movie Swing Time, starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
- 1947: Television and drive-in theaters were quickly gaining popularity. Manning-Winks Theater Co. sold The Strand to the Martin Theater Chain.
- 1947-1950’s: Martin Theatre Chain owned and operated the Strand up until the late 1950’s when The Georgia Theatre, Inc. bought them out.
- 1964: The Strand underwent a complete renovation.
- 1976: Herbert Goldstein bought the property.
We will have a link produced soon where you can purchase your tickets for the very exclusive and exciting event. There will be special VIP seating, premium floor seats and the balcony for any guest to participate and be a part of the show! For more information on the Strand Theatre go to: https://earlsmithstrand.org/
There will be limited parking reserved for our Hot Rods & Classic Cars for this show. We are working with the city on trying to secure more and will update the parking as we come closer to the event so you can plan your whole look from Rod to attire. It’s a lifestyle, so lets dress the part.
The crew of Grease Inc. & Garage71 are feverishly working on one of their best signature ideas with plans of this night only to grow each year. Come start your New Year’s resolutions as the host of the Ink n Oil Awards, Rev. Andy, cures your soul with a little bit of Rock n Roll.
This event is dedicated to all of you. Make sure you tune in to Garage71 radio for more details following the 9th annual Hell on Wheels Kustom Kulture Festival, taking place October 20th & 21st, 2017 at the Atlanta Dragway. After the crew completes another hootenanny of kustom kulture with Vintage Drag Racing, we will be jumping straight in to Ink n Oil planning. We are excited to bring this to you with the support of Hellbender Harley-Davidson. October 28th is our annual throw down with the Monster Mash featuring Hellfire Revival and Cadillac Junkies.
Make sure you get in your nominations now, we want to hear from you! Vote today, the Ink n Oil nominations!!!